Monday, August 14, 2006

A Very Long Day

Today started off really well.

I awoke after a wonderful night's rest. Both my daughters are here for the following week. It's good to have other people wanding through the house.

I got up early -- planning to arrive at the office early. I have so much to get caught up on....after having been gone for over 2 weeks. I was eager to start the day! But as fate would have it, when I got to my car, the thing wouldn't start. It was dead in the water. This is a new car that I got in March!

So, I went back into my house and called my 24 hour roadside assistance. I called them at 8:30a.m. The tow truck didn't arrive until 5:30 p.m. In other words, I had another unplanned day off. So, I got to enjoy my daughters...but in the back of my mind, I worried about what I was missing at the office.

Oh well....

I then had dinner with a friend...that had been scheduled for several days. The friend, a single gay man, and I spent the dinner hour sharing stories of coming out.....dating experiences.....and the like.

At the end of the meal, he smiled and said that it was so refreshing to be able to have dinner with someone who had it all together -- me. (Gee,, imagine....he actually thinks that I have it "all together.")

Why is it that we're always the last people to accept compliments or realize that we have it all together? Today I have thought a lot about how I feel like I am such a weakling emotionally...and how I feel like I'm going to melt down at any time.

But on the other hand....

I look at all the things I have made it through during this past year. I'm amazed that I am still standing.

I AM standing! Head held high....shoulders back......

After all that I have faced.....I am STILL standing!

2 comments:

bear said...

Yes, you have been through a lot, (some seemingly all at the same time too!) You should be proud. :)

jas said...

I second that - Hang in there Frank - we are all behind you