Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Return

It's Sunday Morning.

Yesterday was Mom and Dad's 52nd Wedding Anniversary.

#1 and I were able to prepare dinner for them and gave them cards. Then we all settled in for an extended viewing marathon of Perry Mason. The first half of season one was on sale at Wal-Mart and your's truly is always a sucker for a sale. So, I purchased it. #1 couldn't understand why I would buy such a thing...until she started watching.

Now she's hooked!

As I look at Mom and Dad, it truly warms my heart to see how their marriage has survived so long. They've had their ups and downs. Still their love for each other has remaind constant.

Why couldn't I have had something like that?

A guy in my shoes has to ask the question, will it ever happen for me? Not in a traditional sense of course...but will I have someone in my life like mother has dad?
or as Dad has Mother?

I thought I did...until June 9, 2005.

Oh well...live and learn.

I finally got the nerve up to read the separation agreement yesterday. No real surprises there. After a year you would think she would have at least read my version of the agreement. Either she did and chose to ignore my points, or she didn't read them at all.

Points I thought were settled months ago apparently were not. So, I have to start the "fight" all over again. So, we shall see.

After I post this, I'm headed home to Virginia. It should take approximately 6.5 hours...to drive. So, I'm headed back early.

Back into the firestorm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet anniversary!

My grandparents had 62 years together before Grandma died at 87. They had such an amazing life together, and Grandpa is still going strong at 94.

I think about anniversaries and longevity, too. I have to balance it out in my head by remembering some of the long-running marriages in my family.

I knew my great-grandparents (parents of the 94-y/o Grandpa), Great-Grandpa because I was about 10 when he died, and Great-Grandma because she lived to 101 and got to meet my kids. Even though Great-Grandma was alert and prided herself on giving people a good-natured hard time right up to the end, for unknown reasons she had also been cruel to her husband, a gentle and quiet soul. She had no qualms about belittling and berating him in front of the rest of the family, and he just went about his business by standing tall and not biting back.

So, they had 50-some years together. True to their time, marrying in 1910, they stuck through everything and were the external image of marital bliss. In today's age, though, healthy folks don't stay in abusive circumstances for the sake of preserving a false image.

So, as much as I know I won't have 50 years in a single relationship, I cherish the chance to live authentically, making thoughtful choices, connected to a number of folks who know me as a pretty healthy, grounded guy.

Anyway... hope the rest of the day is good to you, also, Frank...