Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Mom O'Lovey

Back when I was a silly youth that was newly married, the fad in cars were air bags.
Then, those cars were a novelty.

In those early, carefree days, I would roll my eyes when riding with my inlaws anywhere. I was usually in the back seat with Lovey. The inlaws were generally seated in the front seat pontificating about all manner of topics.

I used to tell my friends that I was the first on my block to ride in a car with dual airbags in the front. LOL.

As you know, I've been working very hard to have my house clean, select nice, well-appointed furniture including that outstanding Grandfathers Clock. My dining room furniture is set to arrive sometime in the next couple of weeks, so in the interim I've been painting #1's room to get ready for her new bedroom furniture. I haven't hung any pictures, because I want to do this once all the furniture is in place and all the junk is removed.

Well, wouldn't you know, Mom O'Lovey just had to come by. I made the mistake on Saturday of telling her that I had already purchased some furniture. I was intentionally vague.

According to #1, she was highly critical of everything. She didn't like wher I had put the clock. She didn't like the paintings I had selected. They were too large she thought. She then told #1 to tell me to stop buying stuff...that I was getting way over my head financially. (TRANSLATED: AT THIS RATE HE WILL BE UNABLE TO FORK OVER $$$$$$ TO MY FAIR DAUGHTER LOVEY!!!!)

Then, she saw #1's room. #1 made the mistake of talking about the furniture she was about to get...and Mom O'Lovey succeeded in dissuading that purchase. "You're only going to be using it a couple of months before you leave," she told her. "By the time you return from the Peace Corps, your taste will have changed."

So, we're not getting the furniture.

I'm frosted.

Is it any wonder that I have been unable to make choices easily about furniture and stuff with this amount of criticalness I have had? 25 years worth?

Great scott.

However, I'm somewhat amazed at how I'm taking all this in. I mean, I'm not upset or ready to confront her. I know this would only serve to make me look bad. So, I'm just keeping my opinions to myself and will continue to make choices that please me.

She doesn't know my financial standing....she knows very little about me......only what Lovey has told her. Only God knows what that has been. Probably the same things I've heard from Lovey. You know:

I made her life hell!

I wouldn't let her be who she was!

I wouldn't let her buy shoes!

I'm queer.

***sigh***

1 comment:

Web said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.