Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Visit With Lovey

This post may ramble...so I apologize in advance.

I spoke with Mom this morning and she sounds more like her old self. She's relieved to be home and she said that she slept very well in her own bed at home.

I'm so relieved that she is back home and that she is doing so well. I told her before she went into surgery the first time, that right now I need her and Dad more than I ever have in my adult life. I also said that if she see the famed "light" to turn her back on it and run....not walk, into the other direction!

Perhaps I'm selfish.

But, I am an only child. I feel that I have suffered enough loss for a while. I didn't want to lose her or dad...not just yet.

I spent a lot of time with #1 and #2 while #2 was in town. It was great being with them and just listening to them.

On this past Sunday #1 wanted us to drive to Lovey's to drop off some stuff. #1 said, "C'mon Dad. You won't even have to drive."

So, reluctantly I went. Part of me didn't really want to go...and a part of me was curious to see if she was happy and to see firsthand what she had gotten herself into.

A curious thing happened.

The closer we got to our destination, the more my head began to ache. I could feel all of my muscles tense. How I dreaded this.

The house that Lovey now lives in is a one floor rambler, circa 1966. The carport has been enclosed to make a pastor's office. There's a gray gravel driveway. The main entrance to the house is in the center of the building, with a concrete step-up porch that is surrounded by white wrought iron railing. It extends from the front door to the gravel driveway that stops just at where the carport would have been.

Once you've entered the home you find yourself standing at one end of the comfy living room. From here you can proceed straight to the kitchen, or turn left to the portion of the house holding the three bedrooms or two bathrooms. Or if you proceed through the kitchen, you can exit the house through sliding glass doors to the small patio, or the nearly acre of yard. Or if you turn right at the edge of the kitchen you can walk through to the office or to the laundry room.

No central air conditioning. Two small window units are in the entire house. One is in Lovey's bedroom, the other is at the other end of the house in her office. Both emitted mildewy smells. "I don't know how to clean the filters," Lovey announced. I immediately went into fix-it mode....and I removed the filters and cleaned them for her.

There was all the old familiar furniture from our house....now in HER house It fit the house well. Everything was tastefully arranged. Pictures on the walls hung in well appointed groupings.

And there I was...looking at a photograph of me with Lovey on one of our wedding anniversaries. It was sitting on a chest of drawers in one of her guest rooms.

She then wanted me to see her churches. I looked them over. She said that her honeymoon period with these churches is over. Something about a conflict with a very controlling member that she has to "confront" shortly. He wasn't in church that day and refused to return any of her telephone calls.

Hmmmmm.

She then starts talking about wanting to leave in three years to move someplace else.

She's not even settled here yet....and already wanting to leave.

2 comments:

john said...

Hmmm, seems to me that maybe things aren't going so well on her end. But then again she could have been having an off day, it happens.

Either way, just focus on your own happiness and how far you've come. I'm still thinking about the happiness the new grandfather clock brought you.

Paul said...

It sounds to me like you were a very gracious visitor.

Plus, I'm glad to hear that your Mom is recovering.