Thursday, August 09, 2007

Time Moves On

I learned just a little while ago that another one of my cousins passed away. His name was James and he was one of my grandparents' first grandchildren. He was in his mid-60s and he was found dead yesterday.

Sadly this is another example of a relative who had made some very bad choices over the course of his life. He lived hard. He drank heavily and the drinking took a heavy toll on his body.

He also struck me as one of those underachievers who just floated along life's road without direction -- without goals and he spent the majority of his life without a job. So, it was a very sad case.

As I have explained in numerous entries, since I grew up as an only child, all my cousins were like brothers and sisters to me. Because James was so much older though, I did not get the opportunity to spend much time with him, or to get to know him very well. What I knew of his life came to me from other sources.

So, sadly, I have now lost a number of these individuals. This is the third one I've lost since keeping this blog.

Time moves on...

1 comment:

Marlan said...

A cousin (older) of mine recently died also. As the youngest on both sides of the family, I'm sure I will outlive most, at this point.

What is it with cousins - so close for a while, so distant and separate for most of our lives?