Monday, November 12, 2007

The Empty Nest

Oh...today has been a very difficult one.

I cleaned out the children's rooms today. I came across some things that had been lovingly stored away...old Father's Day projects they had made for me....and that expressed their love to me. I even found some old ticket stubs from the theater where I took them to see many movies over the years.

It tore me up. I sat in the middle of their floor....and the tears flowed.

I know that I'm supposed to rejoice that my kids have grown into such wonderful young adults...but it still rips my heart out that they're gone. I suppose this is what the empty nest feels like.

Empty.

Silent.

My footsteps echo throughout the house...

Some of my friends think that I should have sold the house and bought something totally different. They say I should have changed my surroundings totally. They also said that I should go about getting a new job to just start in new surroundings and to enjoy new challenges. This wouldn't leave a lot of time for me to grieve all my losses.

Perhaps I should think about all this. Maybe I should sell the house....and move to something else now.

I don't know.

It's just been such a tough weekend....

No comments: