Thursday, November 01, 2007

Rainbows and Stuff!


As I get older, the gay pride symbol--the Rainbow Flag, becomes incrasingly moving to me.

Years ago, while I was i the closet, I used to walk at lunch time. Directly next to my building is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, better known as NASA. I remember so very well always getting to the corner of the building just in time to see this well built youngish man ride up on his bicycle, tie it up to the street sign of his choice, and then to disappear into the middle of the building someepplace.

Now the unique thing about this young man, was the fact that my gaydar went off everytime I went near him. He had a beuatiful, buff body and he filled out his clothes quite nicely. AND, most importantly, on his bike was a beautiful rainbow sticker wrapped around the handle bars.

Yes, he was family. I was right.

So every day, I would look for that bike and most usually, I would find it and receive a trmendous blast of affirmation.

I also used to thrive on seeing gay pride stickers on the backs of cars. It made me happy inside. And I never spolk3e of it to a living soul until now through this blog.

Yes, I have another thing about rainbows that I only learned today. I was listening to an old Jim Croce song that speaks of rainbows.

A line from the song says something to the effect that, "You first have to have some rain before you can have a rainbow!"

I hadn't quite thought about that one before. But it's true!

The rain helps you to appreciate the beauty and calmness of the rainbow.

Perhaps one day I will appreciate rainbows more since I've had to endure so many storms in my life.

No comments: