Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Pain of Memories


My head hurts.

BAD.

I woke up this morning and there it was. It has been my constant companion all day.

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with migraines. I see the flashing arcs of light…..noise makes them worse….and I get sick to my stomach. The neurologist said that these were all “classic symptoms.”

Lucky me!

After work I took myself out to dinner at a favorite restaurant that I like to go here in the DC area. Because it was only me, the hostess took me to a little table immediately. There I was. Enjoying my meal.

This restaurant is known for its wonderful prime rib and baked potato and salad bar. All of which I partook. As I sat there, I watched all the different people coming in and out: The waiters running to and fro with meals from the kitchen -- the other staff running around making sure that glasses were always filled to the brim with water -- the busboys fastidiously running to clear tables.

All this was taking place while people of all sizes and shapes waddled to the salad bar.

Sitting and taking all this in, I couldn’t help but remember that this had been one of Lovey’s and my favorite hangouts during our marriage. We celebrated many anniversaries and birthdays there. It was also where I brought her when we found out that we were becoming parents for the first time.

Ah…the memories.

I got home late… It was so strange coming to an empty house. #1 is in West Virginia with my parents. She took my cocker spaniel with her.

So I watched a bit of television. Went to my room…and saw an old videotape sitting on the VCR. So I popped it in (I’m notorious for not labeling my tapes.). Via the magic of video recording, I was whisked back to a church event from 2000.

I watched all 20 minutes of it.

It brought me down. I’ve changed so much.

Life was so much simpler back then.

My head is throbbing.

3 comments:

Paul said...

I'd love to join you for dinner sometime.

Frank said...

That would be great! Let me know when you come to DC!

bear said...

I'm envious of the people who STILL live the simple life. We are just the unlucky one's (or maybe lucky one's depending how you look at it.) I have my days too, some feel lucky other not so much. Reminders of the past make me feel sad too.