Friday, July 14, 2006

Why Now?


The news keeps getting worse...

Mother had her appointment with the surgeon yesterday. He told her that because of her cardiac history (quadruple bypass in 1994), she would have to undergo a stress test and a cardiac catheterization before the cancer surgery.

She was not delighted at this prospect.

On top of this, he was unable to tell her anything about her cancer. He couldn't tell her what stage it was, whether it has spread to other organs, or how much there is to remove other than the tumor.

The tumor itself is golf ball size. Apparently there are two types of polyps one can have: one like a tree with a narrow trunk or a fatty one. She has the latter and the cancer is inside.

So many questions...

So much to worry about...

Why this?

Why now of all times?

Growing up, I always worried about my parents' health. You see, I'm an only child and I was always afraid of being left alone -- an orphan.

I'm now 48 years old and I always worry about my parents' health. I'm still an only child...and I fear being left alone.

The tests will take place during the coming week. I'd guess that the cancer surgery should occur within the next couple of weeks.

I'm not ready to let go....not yet.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Hang in there Frank. There are so many types of cancer and it is too early in the game to tell. Remember, cancer is not the terminal disease it once was. This is something we cannot contol and the doctors are not gods so we must take it as it comes.