Friday, September 21, 2007

Feeling Frosty!


Hopefully by now you get the idea that I've been feeling a bit frosty about the Triple A fiasco with Lovey.

When I'm like this, I generally take a few steps backward and gather my wits about me and then figure out how I am going to respond.

This morning, Lovey gave me that opportunity.

She sent me an email complaining about her lack of time with our son, the Marine. She also sent me an email that one of her inebriated sisters sent to all concerned about our son....and his alleged deployment date.... The sister was so inebriated...she was shamefaced in not knowing who she sent the email to...However, the dentist was clued in. Of course, that sister is now working with him......and getting sloshed in the process.....her husband who works in Boston was also on the list....

Oh well....my mind is going in MANY different directions. More topics for another day.

At any rate, I decided to respond to Lovey. Here it is:

Lovey:

Based on the way that I feel at the moment, email is the last thing I should probably be doing…but here goes anyway.

Thanks for the voice mail and the email about our son. The email seems to be just a calendar entry that just informs everyone of when he will be deployed…nothing more. I’m curious as to how your sister got the date because when I had the hour or so with our son, he was totally adamant that he had not been given any dates. Given your sister's apparent inebriated condition at the time she sent this entry, do you suppose she can remember where she got her information from? In a subsequent IM, our son could only give me a 3-day window…which at this point has not even been confirmed--to me at least.

Aw, look on the brighter side Lovey! At least you, your sisters, Amanda, Chip and Ted were all kept in the loop. Who am I? I’m just the dad! The last on everyone's list!

So, the bottom line for me is this: I am unable to change my schedule at the moment he decides to let me know about when he is leaving. Even though I would give anything to be there, it’s looking more and more grim that I won’t be able to go. So, I just have to relish the hour or so he was able to tear himself away from his friends last Wednesday for dinner. My feeling is that if he had really wanted me there…he would be more communicative with me now.

While I have you….you should know that this hasn’t been a good week for me.
I had to get #1’s car towed to the dealer because the master and slave cylinders of the clutch system failed. Now imagine my frustration to find out that although the last Triple A card you gave to me was good through February 1, 2008 and even though you and I had agreed to keep the membership intact until then, you dropped me and #1…..without any warning!! (At least I kept you in cell phone service and car insurance until the last possible moment….and provided you with adequate warning when those benefits would cease.) From my standpoint, Triple A should have not been an issue -- given the fact that the AAA membership fee is paid up front. We could have been dropped when your membership was up for renewal on February 1, 2008 all without any extra cost to you. But again, what do I know....? I'm just the X.

As it happened, I had to pay $100 for a new membership. Then, because I’m a “new” member, there’s a seven day waiting period for free towing services. So, then there was a towing charge I would have had to pay…if the car dealership had been further than 3 miles. Thankfully, it was EXACTLY three miles from my house.

So…as you can imagine….I am feeling a bit “frosty”


Yes, I'm frosted.

My cookies have been toasted.

I've been flamed.

All of these metaphors are pretty good at describing my feelings on the day of the fiasco.

So we'll see how Lovey responds....it will be a good reading no doubt!

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are remarkably restrained in criticizing your ex-wife in that e-mail. You have nothing to apologize for in your message.

Now you just have to let it go and not let it eat away at you. Good luck at handling her response.

Marlan said...

You don't understand. It's never about you. It is about her.

It just is.