Friday, September 07, 2007

More Change

My hometown has one mall.

It has been in existence for about 20 or so years and is located in a former cow pasture along the interstate about 5 miles outside of town. The stores are pretty typical....there's a Penneys, a Sears, an Elder-Beerman's, a Macy's, and the usual other mall stores.

Mom and I drove up to Border's Books yesterday. It was a very hot, late summer day. She wanted some lipstick from one of the department stores.....and I went to Borders. Things certainly have changed.

The magazine racks contained OUT, THE ADVOCATE and host of other gay culture/lifestyle type publications. Just as I caught my breath from seeing that, I turned to walk over to the music section and there were two lesbians walking slowly through the store...hand in hand......browsing and taking their time. Folks in the bookstore didn't give them a second look.

I then went out into the mall to find mom....and there were a host of gay men....flitting around the various kiosks in the mall. I smiled and inside felt quite affirmed. When I got to the department store my mother was in, I couldn't help but notice the obvious gay young man, with frosted hair, jewelry everwhere on his hands and neck, fussing with some older women at the makeup counter....helping them apply foundation "properly".

I told mother, "Lots of family are around here."

But the darker side still exists....

A pastor in the area has been arrested for molesting young men in his congregation ten years ago. At last count, over 40 young men have come forward with more expected. WHEW.

And on the cover of today's local newspaper is the heartbreaking story of a man close to my age being beaten to death because he was gay. The beating took place in a small town about 12 miles away from the mall. Many people have been quoted as saying how senseless this was.

In its own little way...even the tragic death of this young man is a symbol of the way things are changing here in my hometown.

But it's sad that it must come with such a high price tag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that those sorts of senseless beatings just represent fear for those who did the beating.