Thursday, January 10, 2008

Did You See Oprah Yesterday?????




Confession time: I LOVE OPRAH WINFREY!

She's smart. She's savvy. She's funny. She's influential.

Basically she's my hero! Gosh, I wish I could be 1/10th as successful as her.

I am also quite touched at the way she gives back to the world....and to people.....


Yesterday's program was a repeat of a program that ran several months ago.

It was a gay story with a twist.

As a gay man, I get a little tired of the talk shows finding gay husbands and then criticizing how they have "two-timed" their wives...deceived God and country.....and had their cake and ate it too.

So imagine my shock at the topic of women that are married to men.....and they come out as lesbian!

As I listened to yesterday's program, I was struck at the similarities between them and what I and countless other gay men that I know have gone through as they struggle with their marriages and being gay.

The first lady talked to her husband....he was understanding...told her that they would make it through somehow...but they wound up divorcing. After the divorce, the husband too came out as gay. Their 14 year old son is proud of his gay mom and gay dad because now he has 4 parents that love him.

Imagine that!

Oprah said that in all her years of being on TV, she'd never seen anything like this.

I can't say that I have either.

If you missed it, go to http://www.oprah.com and check out the stills, the summary and the video clips. Totally fascinating!

No comments: