Thursday, August 28, 2008

UPDATE on Mother

Mom is now home. The doctors are VERY pleased at how well she is doing with her new hip. It's healing nicely, and she is in excellent spirits. All this goes such a very long way to recovery.

I spoke at length to mother's internist on Tuesday. He says that the cancer in her hip originated in her lung. So given the fact that it has gone from the lung to the bone seems to indicate that cancer cells are throughout her body and manifestations can crop up anywhere in her body. She's having a bone scan next Tuesday and is scheduled for a PT scan shortly thereafter to identify "hot" spots where the cancer is presenting. Based on what is found, she will undergo chemo and radiation therapy.

The doctor says that death is NOT iminent. The cancer can't be cured, but it can be managed well. Ultimately it will have a negative impact on her...but for now, we have her.....she is in good spirits....and we shall all savor every moment we have with her.

A number of my friends have told me that folks have lasted 10 or more years....and the goal is to get her into remission.

So we shall see.

This week is not nearly as frightening as last week. I'm headed to be with her tomorrow night....and will meet Laura there. I will return sometime on Tuesday evening!

On another note, my daughter Laura from Hashville gave a full concert at a local university. It was a great experience and she was quite pleased. If I can figure it all out, I will embed some video of her for you to enjoy of one of "her" songs that she got to perform in public for the first time!

It was so cool to be able to see my "little girl" at doing what she loves to do.

I'm blessed!

2 comments:

Bob said...

You have been certainly dealing with alot. There is a wholesome, loving life as a gay man and hopefully the divorce with become easier and more understandable for both of you.
I was married 18 yrs, and my ex-wife is my best friend.

Anonymous said...

I'm am so sorry to learn about your mother. Hang in there, I'm thinking of you.