Thursday, May 08, 2008


Things have been quite wacky at my house this entire week. My parents arrived by train from their home in West Virginia last Wednesday. I took both Thursday and Friday off because Thursday was my big day, and Friday I had to travel to the airport to pick up #2. That evening, my son the Marine, arrived and Saturday was the BIG day of my birthday bash. And what a day it was!

I had over 40 people come to my house and express their best wishes for a Happy 50th! They all took their time and enjoyed being with each other. My parents got to meet all my friends who came and got to know them. They, in turn, got to know my family and meet my son.

The party began at 1:00 p.m., and the last guests left my house around 7:30 in the evening. It was a long and exhausting day, but it left me feeling pleased with myself. I could actually see just how far I had come. In the midst of all the rubble and debris I found myself in following the separation and divorce from Lovey, I had no friends. It was a lonely and sad feeling that I never wish to repeat ever again.

What a difference!

As a birthday present to myself, I had some professional landscaping done in the front of my house and in the back. I powerwashed my patio. Cleaned off the deck. Scrubbed the patio furniture. Cleaned the inside of my house from stem to stern. Cleaned the hardwood floors. Shampooed carpets. Hung pictures. Vacuumed. Everything looked great!

I’m still getting feedback from my guests who are calling to thank me for being a warm and gracious host and for inviting them.

Lovey showed up with her mother and aunt. All my friends told me afterwards that she was a little rude towards them….in one case she totally turned her back on one person and walked away, mid-conversation. As I mingled with the crowds in my den, dining room, kitchen and deck and patio areas (the day was perfect weather), I could see that Lovey was sitting alone in my living room! Apparently, much was on her mind.

Thankfully, it was not my job to figure out her problem.

She returned on Sunday afternoon to spend a little time with #2 before she caught her flight back to Nashville. When Lovey left, mother said that she had a very forlorn look about her and her body language was less than victorious. (I was too busy helping #2 pack and get ready to leave to notice that she had even left.)

So, later on today I plan to run a post of pictures so that you can see what’s been happening at my house….and to let you get a sense of the party.

I’m glad that I hosted my party. It was a great day!


Post a Comment

<< Home