Sunday, May 18, 2008

Surprises Along The Way

Did y'all recover yet from my Bobby Sherman centerfold?

Yeah, it was a stunner.....especially for a shy 12 year old in the summer of 1970. My hormones flooded my body......my heart raced.......and my face burned from the sexual feelings I was feeling for the first time in my life. It nearly drove me crazy. But I worked to carry on.

Much like I do now.

I've had some interesting things to happen today.

First, and foremost, my son woke up early this morning and said that he was going with me to church. I was surprised, mainly because he's been a "little" phobic about being around other gay people. At my church he would be in a whole den of 'em.

But off to church we went. He had a good time. The gay guys were attracted to him....and he felt that. But I told him that it was about their sexuality and his attractiveness....it didn't mean he was giving off a "gay vibe." The lesbians came up and kissed and hugged him. (Even the big butch burly ones were like silly putty around him....stammering and all..... They thanked him for his service to the country.)

We went to lunch with the church bunch. There I heard a lot of what has been bubbling inside my son for quite sometime. I overheard him saying to someone what a great dad I have been to him. He said that he knows he hasn't always been kind to me...but he finally realizes that I loved him all along. He also knew that I was the parent that cared enough to spend time with him....and the girls....and he loves me more than he can say.

I teared up.

Of course it doesn't take a whole lot to make me cry.

But to hear him say this meant more to me than I can possibly every say.

So, it has been an excellent day at Frank's house.

Later on, my minister friend wrote me and asked if we could chat a little after 6pm. So, I was finally able to free some time to talk to him. He was upbeat about his trip to NYC this weekend to see a musical with his family. It sounds like things went well. He sounded happy.

We talked for over 4 hours this time -- a record for us. Again we solved all the world's problems....and some of ours too. LOL

It's a little strange to have only been acquainted with someone for 7 days....and to have spent a total of 10 hours on the telephone...comparing stories......marriages.....ministries......dreams.....hopes...... It feels as if he has been my friend forever.....and he just so recently appeared.

Hmmmmmm.

No comments: