Monday, May 12, 2008

The Story of the Crystal Cat

As we prepared for the beginning of the retreat, we were instructed to bring a personal item that represented our lives. So, I decided to take an item from my office.

At the office, I have a piece of handblown crystal that has been there for approximately 17 years. It had caught my eye on the shelf, and I thought it would be a rather unique piece of art for my office.

It was made by an artisan at a glass plant in my home state of West Virginia that no longer exists. It was purchased by my dear Aunt Opal who passed away 13 years ago.

This cat represents my life in so many ways.

1. It has been said that cats have nine lives. I feel that I'm beginning a new life at the age of 50.
2. The cat was made in West Virginia. I was made in West Virginia.
3. The cat is made of clear crystal and is fairly transparent. If you hold him up to a bright light source, the resulting reflection would be a vast multi-colored rainbow. Like him, I'm rather transparent -- what you see is what you get. I feel though, that at the age of 50, I'm only just now allowing my rainbow shine fully.

That little cat has faithfully stood watch over my desk for the past 17 years. I haven't thought a lot about him. He just became a part of my office. But he still has stood watch through the many ups and downs in my life. He's been there through the many deaths of significant people in my life.

It was there as my three children grew and finally left the nest and went their own way.

It was there as my marriage faltered and ultimately crumbled and dissolved.

It's still here as I rise from the ashes and am now on the brink of new things.

I've learned a lot as I've pondered the lessons of the crystal cat.

I'm still learning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post, very thought provoking. I'd like to be more transparent than I am, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen for me until I am able to be open professionally as well as privately.

I love cats, by the way. I like dogs too, but I haven't had one since I was 19 years old.

Shalom,
Chuck