Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A "Near Miss!"

Well, the stomach thing has passed and so has the sleeplessness.

Both were connected to the fact that I had gone without my thyroid meds for a couple of days…. I felt “ooky.”

Never again will I go without those meds….no matter how inconvenient…or that I feel that “I can do without” for a day or so.

Forget it!

It was awful.

Thankfully I’m now back on track and feeling wonderfully well.

On top of all this I think I have just had a near miss in the love department. Yup….spent some time with a guy who is about 5 years older than me last week. Of course, me being the slow to react kind of person that I am, I played down my attraction to him…..and just followed what some of you have told me to do over time: just be myself….and let the true, caring, loving and gentle Frank show through.

So, I did.

He and I spent a significant hunk of time together. Near the end of his visit he mentioned that he owns a cabin near a resort area about 4 hours away. Would I be interested in going on an overnight there with him sometime?

I looked at him and smiled.

“Sure, “ I said. “I’d love to go.”

Last night he tried calling me a couple of times at home...and left a message. (I was out helping my new Associate Pastor move into his new place.) He also tried my cell phone! The message on my home number that asked I call him on his cell anytime today.

So, I did. We chatted for a while. Near the end of the conversation he said, “Frank, I have to tell you that I really do enjoy you. You’re everything I’ve been looking for. BUT….”

I always hate the “buts”….sometimes they are just breathtaking…. You get zinged…and feel your heart drop through the floor….

This time it wasn’t so bad….

“But….” He continued, “You and I live two hours apart and this is my only concern!”

I answered with a chuckle, “Ah….this is just the story of my life. I always seem to stir the interest of people billions of miles away, or they are married……or they are partnered!”

“Well, if you’d like to get together and we can see how this goes, I’m open,” he said. “I’d still like for you to see my cabin.”

“Great!” I said. “Just let me know what works for you….I’m pretty flexible.”

So, I guess this is a “near miss.”

No comments: