Sunday, July 06, 2008

That Ache (Again!)

This post is going to cover some familiar territory....but since this is my story....I've committed to share my life as it flows... Sadly, sometimes there are repeats.

I was out and about on Saturday afternoon and decided to visit a couple of graves of some very old friends I had about 20 years ago. The cemetery where they are is lovely and peaceful place....just off a major thoroughfare in the heart of Alexandria. I took my time and walked around.

To be honest, I hadn't spent a lot of time at this cemetery, but since explorin graveyards is a hobby of mine, I had a good time. Now before you get the idea that I'm strange or something, rest assured that I find funerary art to be quite interesting, and reading epitaphs on the various stones from many years ago is liking glimpsing someone's home page.

So, as I walk and look....I love to meditate.

Walking through this particular cemetery, I found myself noticing the number of double graves.....generally a man and a woman...side by side. Occasionally you find a two men together....or two women together. Then, there are those lonely solitary graves.

It struck me...that when I die, at the rate I'm going, I will have no one next to me. After all, I have no one next to me in life now. Why should death be any different?

So, such thoughts gave me the blues. AND...I've had them all day. That horrible ache is still here. The ache to love someone.....the ache to have a companion......the ache to feel whole.

Yup.....it is a dull ache.....that just seems to hover over me.

Day and night.

YUCK.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for some time now, and I want to thank you for sharing your story. I am ending a 35 year marriage and hope to begin a new life at age 59. It is very frightening, but I get courage from reading your posts. You are a great guy, and I am confident that you will not be alone for long. You have too much to share with another. Thanks again.