Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Huh?


Not long ago, one of my children told me that their mother had said that she needed some time away. She needed to take a vacation.

However, she wasn’t wild about the idea of going alone, but she didn’t want to take any of “her” family members with her because it would be just too stressful.

So she started down memory lane.

It seems that her favorite vacation memory involved me, blueberry pancakes and her sitting at the breakfast table of the restaurant studying the Bible, and me reading the morning newspaper, while the kids slept in.

Well, for all that I did wrong, it’s quite comforting that at least there is one pleasant memory of me.

So yesterday, when the marine and I dropped by to say hello, Lovey cornered me and said, “You know, we have never been to see him on base in all the time that he’s been a LeJeune.”

“Well, we have been a bit busy…..and dealing with ‘other’ issues.”

“I know. But I think we should go down there for a few days before he leaves for Iraq.”

“Oh, “ I said.

“Would you be willing to take a road trip with me down to see him?” she asked.

“We can talk about it,” I said.

Now let me get this fixed in my mind: a 5-hour road trip with Lovey.

Just the two of us: Lovey and me.

Am I missing something here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do not do it. I had similar opportunity come up when I was divorcing. It was hell for me. The potential for a disastrous ride are far too great.