Thursday, July 26, 2007

Thoughts on a Possible Grandchild

As I sit in the balance of waiting for the actual word, one way or the other, of whether or not I'll be a grandfather, I've done some real soul-searching.

So far, everything I've pictured for my family has gone totally opposite of how I thought things would work out. For example:

1. I thought that I would grow old with my wife.

NOT

2. I thought that I would be actively involved with her ministry as I aged.

NOT

3. I thought that my children would all live in relative close proximity of "us."

NOT

4. I thought that I would become a grandfather the old fashioned way: after a courtship of my children and their subsequent marriage and at least nine months.

As it looks now:

NOT

When it comes to grandchildren, I always pictured that I would have them and be able to enjoy the process with my wife. But as it stands now I will be by myself to enjoy my grandchildren. It disturbs me a bit.

It's not as I pictured.

Although at some point I may have a trophy husband to enjoy my grandchildren with....but that's not how I had pictured my life.

Oh well.

Life goes on.

No comments: