Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Mystery Is Solved

I've settled the mystery of my weirdness.

No, it's not just a quirk that makes me so loveable to all of you.

I have learned that no one can take care of me like I can!

(And no can make the kind of mistakes I can either!)

I’ve learned this rather profoundly in the last few days pertaining to the medications I am currently taking.

Besides the diabetes, I have a few other medical conditions that I’m dealing with including ADD. My doctor diagnosed me in 2003. It explained the mystery of my elementary school years when I was hyper and couldn’t focus on learning. My desk was always a wreck. My handwriting was such that my fifth grade writing teacher once asked, “Do you have a muscular condition?”

I had a brain malfunction, but didn’t know it at the time.

So, my doctor prescribed Strattera, and I was literally amazed at the big change in me. My then wife noticed the difference. My handwriting improved dramatically to the point that total strangers who watched me sign my name, or write a check would comment on my penmanship.

Well, I stopped taking it after the separation. Too much was going on in my life…and I felt like things were under control.

Until my recent trip to Nashville that is.

That weekend I was totally unfocused. I even frustrated myself. My mind was going in 50 different directions. I had trouble settling down. It was awful.

Well, I called my doctor to refill my ADD medicine and of course, I got the names of medicines mixed up. I told her to refill my prescription for Celexa….which I have never been on. She wrote the script….I had it filled and started taking the medication last week.

This weekend I started feeling anxious…..like the world was caving in around me……I was hyper…..the handwriting was awful……I was super depressed….

Celexa is an anti-depressant that has a whole host of warnings associated with it….including feelings of anxiousness…..hyperactivity……all kinds of negativity…..and incidents of suicide. EEEEEK!

So, you now know why it is I never became a doctor. If I can’t tell the doctor what medication I’m on….how could I ever get the right prescriptions in the right person?

I’ve stopped the Celexa….and hope to begin the Strattera and then things will get back to normal.

1 comment:

bear said...

Whoops! Good thing you caught that...though the doctor can usually see that in your records? They are human though too. (Was this what was making you feel 'weird'?)