Friday, July 06, 2007

Some Things Never Change. Others Do.

July 4 was a good day for me. I’m so thankful that it was because I’m finding that the worst days of all are the holidays when I am alone…totally.

But, things worked out all the way around and I was not alone. I had my son here….and I was invited to a cookout with the O’Loveys.

I heard earlier in the day that Lovey had left her mom’s house to go to the seminary where she once worked, to spend some time in study and prayer for her sermon this week. She was gone and gone and gone.

Upon her return, she groused to me about her not being able to study around here at all.

Some things never seem to change.

This was one of her all time complaints with living with me and the kids. The house was never clean enough. She couldn’t study in a messy house. The kids were too loud. She couldn’t study in a noisy house. The TV couldn’t be on. The music on the soundtrack could be upsetting to her.

So that’s how the kids and I became so very close. We’d evacuate the premises and do our own thing away from home and way from her.

It gives me a tremendous sense of satisfaction to know that the library at the seminary isn’t conducive to her sermon preparation either!?! Some things never change.

Well, my kindness and goodwill are showing again!

I invited Mom O’Lovey and her sister to dinner last night. I also offered to show a movie on the big screen TV in the basement for their enjoyment. Mom’s sister, “my ‘aunt’” suffers from the early stages of Alzheimers. She’s 81 years old and still gets around very well. Her short term memory is sporadic….but her long term memory is great.

So, I ordered pizzas….and we had salad and sodas and watched “The Lake House.”

I also have a concert video of #2 that was made during her senior recital in Nashville. As an added treat, I showed that following the movie.

They seemed to have a blast.

Mom O’Lovey was grousing under her breath about Lovey’s cat. The cat is white, with green eyes. It is blind in one eye.....has serious back problems and is barely able to move. However, it has significant behavioral problems and will do things for spite. Of all the things that Lovey took with her, I am thankful she took that cat with her the most. While they were visiting her mother's house for the week, the cat kept peeing on her new carpets all over the house. As you know, there is nothing more fragrant than the smell of fermented cat piss. I know....I had to deal with it in my house after Lovey's departure.

After they left, I had a feeling of satisfaction sweep over me. I mean, they came to “my” house for a visit. My house was clean. It wasn’t junky. It didn’t have that funky “cat” odor that was so prevalent during the days of Lovey. Also sermon notes and books were not scattered to kingdom come.

My house continues to improve with time…and I am so thankful.

On top of this, the air is clean!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank: We have two cats with “toilet behavior issues” also. I understand fully the frustration that they cause.

Rick