Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Almost Let the Cat Out of the Bag - 2

I have so much that I can write about....but given the lateness of the hour, I will only write one brief tale tonight. Stay tuned during tomorrow for aFol whole host of installments.

Following the excitement of last night, I had today off. I spent the day cleaning and doing laundry -- regular fun stuff. At lunch time, I thought it might be wise to write a thank you note to Dan about him being such a good sport for riding with me to the wake. It wasn't anything all that spectacular.....just your basic, run-of-the-mill thank you.

Early in the afternoon I got a couple of emails back from him. telling me how much he enjoyed being with me last night....and how much he appreciated my willing to listen to him....as he was sorting out various things in his life.

Imagine my surprise when he asked if I would like to see a movie tonight.... He couldn't go until around 10...and he said he would understand if I couldn't since I have to work tomorrow. I wrote him back and agreed to do it.

So we met at the appointed time at the theater. We spent time chatting....and he began covering similar issues that he did last night on the way home from the wake. Clearly the man has a lot of stuff on his mind. So I listened.

We then went into the movie.... The movie ended around 12:30...and we walked out slowly to the parking lot where our cars were parked. He and I were parked nearly side by side.

I walked him to his car....and he came over and gave me a gigantic hug. I told him that I really cared for him....and how special he was.

And for a split instant....I saw something pass through his eyes. It's a look that I have not see before. It was a look of endearment...tenderness....all that. But it passed by very quickly.

As we got over to his side of the car....I gave him another big hug....and a kiss on the cheek. He then started talking about something totally unrelated. I chuckled. I honestly think he is oblivious......or he is being coy. So I stroked his cheek......and I said, "You are so funny!"

He looked up at me....and said, "Why do you say that?"

I responded by saying...."You just are."

With that I told him good night......and he drove off....

You may wonder why I didn't just lay all my cards on the table. Well, here is the reason.....I have no interest in complicating his life with Scott, even though he is certainly questioning that relationship. I will not be the "other woman."

But....after he gets a chance to think things through a bit.....and he gets over his being oblivious......then he might be able to figure out what I am trying to say.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Frank......you know what I'm going to say. Let Dan know your feelings towards him. You don't have to say it in a blatant, needy way but do let him know how you feel. You could say (when the opportunity presents itself as it did in parking lot last night), "I care for you a great deal Dan." And let it go at that. To use a tired old basketball metaphor, you're tossed the ball into his court. You HAVE to let him know how you feel. I sense that you're risk aversive. You're afraid of rejection. You want to "be sure" of his feelings towards you. What I have always appreciated in any relationship I've ever been in is total and open honesty. That's the way I've always been my whole life. Have I ever been hurt by rejection once I let my feelings be known? Of course. Sometimes very badly. But remember, you can't always play life safe. There are those times, which I will never forget, that my total honesty resulted in a fabulous, loving relationship. I've had several of those experiences during my lifetime in which I felt totally alive. There is no substitute for it. Wonderful highs, terrible lows. At least I lived. I would have done it no other way.

I do want to compliment you on one thing you did last night. You listened to Dan. Listening is so important to any relationship. So few people know that is the key to a long and loving relationship. Listening, respect, and caring for the other person. Possess those qualities and love will come to you.

Ron said...

Check my latest blog posting for my requirements for "Mr. Right."