Friday, August 20, 2010

My Quest for Spiritual Wholeness


From my earliest memories, I have been aware of my spiritual self. I can't remember ever having been trained in this or ever having been given the command by the adults that orbited in and out of my life, "You shall be spiritual....or you shall be Christian."

It's just something that has always been.

So, as I have repeatedly said in this blog, I take my spirituality quite seriously. Had it not been for my relationship with God, I don't believe I would have survived the gay thing; it's fallout and my subsequent divorce were just too traumatic to have survived it alone.

But...

In saying all this, I have to also confess that I do not consider myself a spiritual giant by any means.

I'm just an average everyday man, who happens to be gay...who is also conscious of God's presence and who happens to be striving to become more aware of His presence. I feel like I am still spiritually in pieces at times and so, before I leave this planet, I very much want to experience wholeness.

Part of my journey has led me through the lives of some pretty interesting people. As a result I have learned so very much from each of them.

For some odd reason, I just have this feeling in my gut that I am on the threshold of bigger and better things. Perhaps I may fully realize my long held dream of that special man in my life.....or I may get to experience some long held dreams. Whatever the case, it makes my heart flutter with an air of expectancy.

This has all been increased following my viewing of the new Julia Roberts film, "Eat, Pray, Love". This movie is perhaps the best one I have seen in a number of years. It fully resonated with me on levels that I hadn't expected.

The Julia Roberts character (Elizabeth Gilbert) reminds me of me. I understand how she felt.

I get it.

So much in fact that I have gotten the book and am now reading it.

When Oprah first introduced me to Ellizabeth Gilbert and the book on her television program, even though I found the story interesting, it seemed to only be targeted to a female audience. It's kind of like O Magazine being described as a women's magazine. EPL seemed to be a women's book.

As a gay man, I let the story drop.

I am so thankful for the new film. It's appeal is broad....it's not just a women's movie.

It's for me too.

So let's just see where I go from here!

No comments: