Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Just a Note From Dad on His Son's 21st Birthday

(My adopted son, "My Son the Marine", turned 21 today. Here's my birthday greeting to him.)

Son:

My heart is truly full right now because I’ve spent a good portion of this day thinking about you. Yes, YOU! You see, I can’t believe that my little boy (“Daddy’s Little Man”) has reached the milestone of turning 21. I’m in shock.

It seems like only yesterday that I actually first laid my eyes on you. To clue you in just a little about fatherhood, when one becomes a father, there is something awe inspiring about holding your little ones at birth for the first time. In looking back at the moment I first got to hold you, the feeling was identical. It was something almost magical. Simply put, this is one of those moments that I, as your dad, will never ever forget.

I don’t believe I have ever shared with you the details of our first meeting. So here it is:

I had arrived a bit early for church on Wednesday Night, May 13, 1987 at the. I was in a rush and heading down the hallway to head upstairs to the sanctuary. As I was about half way down the hallway, Lynn Copeland came carrying this beautiful blond baby boy. I had to stop. That little boy absolutely took my breath away!

It was YOU!

Lynn let me hold you. You were 15 months old. I was in heaven. I’m not sure what happened inside me, but I was smitten -- completely. Every time thereafter when the Copelands would show up at church, I had to hold you and cuddle you and make you giggle. Your giggle was infectious and made me laugh too. As time passed, every time you would see me, you’d wave at me or reach for that strange man with the beard. As a matter of fact, just before you and the Copelands left for England, they had you christened at the church. The Copelands asked me to take still photographs. So, in the videotape of the christening, you keep waving at me as I’m running around with the camera.

Son, that love that I felt for you on that Wednesday evening almost 20 years ago continues to shine brightly today. It hasn’t always been easy to be your dad, but I hope at some point you’ll understand that all along I have only wanted the very best for you in all that you do.

I still do.

I love you, son, as much as a father can ever love one of his own. Just remember, no matter where you go in life, you’ll forever be your “Daddy’s Little Man.”



Dad

3 comments:

john said...

Wow!!!That made me tear up.

"Tommy" said...

i too have a marine as a son.

lets hope all goes well for both our our sons.

Paul said...

Great letter.

I wish I would take the time to write to my kids.