Monday, January 08, 2007

We Are Marsahll!


I am a native of Huntington, West Virginia.

It's where I was born and raised. It's where my parents still live.

It's also where I went to college at Marshall University.

On November 14, 1970, the town faced a major disaster: The Thundering Herd football team was killed when their chartered jet slammed into the hillside short of the runway at Tri-State Airport. 75 players, coaches and boosters were killed as they were returning from a Saturday game at East Carolina.

I had just begun Junior High School at the time and several of my classmates lost a parent or were orphaned that day. The town was devestated.

When I heard that they were making a movie based on this event and it would star Matthew McConahey (sp?), I was terribly concerned that they wouldn't do the story justice or keep the dignity of the players and the families of all the victims.

But I shouldn't have worried.

The movie is excellent and it was filmed right there on campus and in the surrounding areas. What a trhill it is for me to see my hometown on the big screen and to see places that I have been to a million times now at the local multiplex here in Washington, DC!

The movie also succeeds in bringing back the horror and sadness of the time. I remember all too well all the funrals that took ploace....the tolling of the bells......everything.

If you like good movies then I highly recommend it and in the processs, you'll learn a little bit about the community I grew up gay in.

WE ARE MARSHALL!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a movie that has been on my list since I first saw the previews. I am happy to read of your positive review.