Thursday, March 29, 2007

Finances


This whole divorce business is quite expensive not only in pecuniary terms, but also emotionally and physically. I’m beginning to see all this manifested.

For the two years I waited for Lovey to finally come around to agreeing to the settlement agreement, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I would land on my feet financially. The legal fees were astronomical. I had to replace my furniture and sound equipment that Lovey had taken with her. On top of all this, I had to figure out how to build a new fence and deck in the back of my home….it was on the verge of collapse from sheer neglect. I had to have some brick work done around my house. The house needed painting. As a result of the great flood of ’06 the week of Lovey’s departure, I had to buy new sump pumps and new carpet for the downstairs. While doing it, I had new carpet installed in my bedroom too.

In the midst of everything, my wife upped her request for spousal support significantly.

But I had everything figured out. I would use some of the proceeds from the retirement equalization, and pay off a loan from my Thrift Savings Plan which would free up $600 per month toward alimony. That would mean that I would only see a net increase of $200 to monthly expenditures.

But…

The Internal Revenue Service has ruled that I can’t use my equalization proceeds to do this. So, I’m kind of stuck now with the financial situation I am currently in.

While it won’t be easy….and I won’t be making the strides I had initially planned on making my debt lessen, it’s just gonna take a little longer. However, every spare penny is going to go to pay off that loan I have from my Thrift Savings Plan. When that is paid, it will greatly help my financial situation.

I suppose this is a small price to pay for the peace of mind I now have….or at least I’m in the process of getting.

No comments: