Monday, March 26, 2007

Weekend Update

My weekend was great. It just went by way too fast!

My daughter from Nashville came and spent the weekend with me. She wanted to see the Gay Men’s Chorus of DC’s production of the Wizard of Oz. We did that and it was amazing. Lots of funny touches from the gay angle. The double entendre’s flew! (A lot over my daughter’s head thankfully.) Plus, can you picture Ms. Gulch being black (think Oprah), and instead of traveling on a bike, she’s riding a segue(sp?)? Or, Toto being a stuffed black toy dog, who did his moving with the assistance of people throwing him from place to place on the stage? Or how about the flying monkees being leather daddies with muscular chests? Or, instead of a hunted forest…..the forest of twinks?

I think you can pretty well picture just how truly entertaining this was.

Afterwards, she wanted to go to one of the gay restaurants in town. So there we sat, in the heart of gay DC, in a fine restaurant, surrounded by many, many, beautiful gay men….and my daughter sat and enjoyed it all. What support I have! I am indeed blessed.

On Sunday morning we arose early and went to visit her grandmother at church. We then went to a diner close by and breakfast. Following this we went to the church I’ve been attending. It’s MCC and primarily gay. My daughter kept telling me how taken she was with the friendliness that everyone showed.

After the service, we went with the “Lunch Bunch” to eat at a nearby restaurant. Once again #2 made herself right at home and she made folks feel that they have known her forever.

Then, it was time.

Time for us to go to the O’Lovey’s house and visit with Lovey and her mother. We were a bit shocked by the number of “other” people who came, but we didn’t make a big deal of it and tried to be as warm as possible.

I had a grand time in spite of Lovey being there. However, to be quite honest, this was the first time in well over 2 years that I can actually say that she made me feel warm and welcome. We actually conversed and there was no tension at all.

So, #2 got back to Nashville last night all safe and sound…..and I returned home….and sat with my dog, Davy, and watched some television before going to bed.

I’m having some gastric problems. Not sure what the problem is. I’m going to see the gastroenterologist tomorrow afternoon to see. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank:

One thought that has been rattling around in my brain for some length of time is why do we humans have to assign blame and vilify the other party when we decide to change a relationship? Couples for instance live together quite amicably for decades, then for one reason or another determine that it is time to go their separate ways and suddenly the partners start painting each other as Jack the Ripper and Lizzy Borden. I suppose one answer is that all along they viewed each other in those terms but found the relationship to be of enough value that they suppressed the truth in order to maintain it. Another might be that we feel that we need a justification for changing something that society told us was immutable. Be it our own sense of propriety that needs to be appeased or that of our friends. In either case, after we proclaim the justification for some length of time, it becomes our truth. At least until we no longer need the justification for long enough that it can be replaced with other memories of the past.
Maybe some of what you experienced the other night was Lovey’s letting go of the need for justifying the divorce.

Rick

bear said...

good things to read here. I'm glad that you have some peace with Lovey. I hope everything turns out ok with the doctors!