Sunday, March 04, 2007

My Visit to Church


I went to church this morning.

No, I didn't go to THAT one -- you know the one. That one where I feel like the invisible man. That church that Lovey served on the staff of.

I went to the Metropolitan Community Church -- the gay church.

It felt so good to be there. The sanctuary was crowded with people like me. Gay men, gay women, gay male couples with kids, gay male couples without kids, lesbians with children, lesbians without children, older gay men and women.

It was amazing.

The lesibans were so friendly. When I go to gay churches or gay friendly churches, I seem to always attract the lesbians. I told my mother that I was getting in touch with my inner lesbian...or maybe I was a lesbian. We laughed.

But the message was so good. The spirit was really good. I felt very much at home.

Following the service I was invited to go to lunch with them -- the lesbians and the gay guys. We laughed. It was good to just be myself in this group of strangers. They want me to come to the men's Bible Study next week. So, what the heck. I'm going to go!

So we'll see.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Good for you.

Anonymous said...

Frank:

I think this is a very positive step. Your faith has been a core part of who you are for all of your life. Finding a way to positively integrate it with the reality of your sexual orientation will, I am sure, go a long way toward healing much of your hurt. Our faith can be practiced in many denominations, some more easily than others. But it is our own faith that we are practicing, the one that flows out of our experience, the revelation of the divine that He has uniquely given to each of us. Denominations are simply organizations of people who share some elements of a common faith story and come together for mutual support and mission.

Rick