Thursday, March 15, 2007

On Being Normal, Queer, Christian and Male

I returned yesterday afternoon from Philly all safe and sound. I dropped my colleague off at her car and then I made the mad dash across the river to pick up my cocker spaniel, Davy.

He was so happy to see me and to be home.

I felt a profound sense of relief when I got home.

The overall relief I felt was evidenced in the fact that I had to lie down and nap before I could continue the rest of the evening. That one hour nap refreshed me enough so that I could enjoy the Bible study I attended.

Yes, the gay church I am part of had a men’s Bible study last night and we met at one of the members’ homes. We sat and talked. I became acquainted with a number of the guys.

It’s interesting to be in a room filled with gay men….and to not have the sexual tension that accompanies a lot of such gatherings. In last night’s group there were two committed monogamous couples.

Watching them interact and to behave so comfortably with each other was such a blessing to see.

Over the course of the evening, they mentioned that the reason that such couples are not as visible as those who lay fast and loose is that a committed couple tends to be low key. They don’t feel the need to beat their chests and be out partying and playing. They are content with each other and just living their lives quietly and happily.

They asked me about myself and my background. I told them of my religious upbringing and about Lovey. I told the couples that I was really blessed to see them. But that I had a long way to go before I was ready for such a relationship.

They understood.

The discussion then turned to being a normal queer Christian man. So, I asked the question, “What does one look like?”

They explained that normal was a relative term. It depends on who you are and what your drives entail. Being a queer is obvious…if you’re a man, it means you like other men. (DUH.) And, if you’re a Christian, that means you are a follower of Christ.

So, based on that discussion, I suppose I can claim the comment,

“I’m a normal, queer, Christian, man.”

I hope Jerry Fallwell, Pat Robertson and Ted Haggard aren’t reading this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually I hope that those homophobic brothers in Christ are reading this blog. I hope that they are seeing what kind of a mess gets created when their miss-interpretation of God's word force people to hide who they really are rather than celebrate the diversity of God's creation in their lives.