Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March 25, 1966

Forty-two years ago today, I experienced death in a very personal way.

Five months before then, my StepGrandfather Maynard died. He didn’t really count because he wasn’t truly a part of my life. I only saw him occasionally and the week before his death he had yelled at me for something really silly. At the tender age of 7, it hurt my feelings, and he never had a chance to make amends.

He was old and cranky.

I was young and fully of life.

There was a clash.

Naturally so.

One year before that, my Great Aunt Della died. The year was 1964. She was a gentle loving soul. My memories of her are just as fleeting as those of my step grandfather. The last time I saw her was through the back window of our beige Ford Fairlane – waving and smiling. Still, for those pleasant memories, she was also not truly a part of my life.

Forty-two years ago today, death came to me very personally and profoundly.

My parents had hired a live-in babysitter circa 1960 to help take care of me until I “grew up”. She was an elderly lady in her seventies, who spent her time totally spoiling me.

I’m very fortunate to have turned into the man that I have become….normally folks so spoiled grow up to be miserable creatures who only think of themselves.

For whatever reason, the exact opposite has happened in me…I have always been concerned with others.

She and I spent much time at the local amusement park in the summer. We would take long walks throughout my neighborhood. I learned everyone’s name by heart.

In the downtown area where I lived, there were several old time elegant hotels – no longer there – where we would go to the lobby and sit to escape the summer heat.

During two consecutive years in the early 1960s, my town hosted the Miss USA Pageant. On one of our jaunts those years downtown, we got to see some of the contestants modeling swimsuits. I even got to see some “big name” celebrities who had come to town to be a part of those festivities.

Yes, my babysitter was my constant companion. We were quite close….because we had spent so much time together.

Forty-two years ago today, she died.

She was 78 years old.

A life ended.

I wonder if anyone else has remembered her lately?

No comments: