Friday, March 07, 2008

Moving Towards Financial Independence


As I have moved "out of the ashes" of what was my marriage, I had a lot of issues to work through....mentally, emtionally and physically.

The final piece is financial.

When Lovey walked out, she left behind a lot of "bills" she was unwilling to deal with like student loans...and one credit card with a very high interest rate. As I have cleaned up the residual mess of the separation/divorce, I incurred legal bills and other bills that have now left me financially strapped...due to the fact that I still have three kids, who, from time-to-time require financial assistance. While I'm glad to do it, I feel like I'm on a treadmill that keeps making me run faster and faster to keep up....but in actuality, I'm not getting anywhere.

So, I've made a decision I hope I don't live to regret. It's a bullet that I'm prepared to take...I've talked to accountants and a financial institution.

As part of the divorce settlement, I received a QDRO that involved a significant sum of money from Lovey's retirement accounts. This was to bring me up equal to her totals. (I work for Uncle Sam, who hasn't been nearly as generous as her law firm was.) So, this QDRO (qualified domestic relations order), is actually a tax-free windfall for my retirement accounts that had not been factored in my retirement planning at all. Sort of like icing on the cake.

That money, even with the stiff tax penalties, will allow me to become financially independent.... I would be totally out of debt.....the lingering balances on the credit cards with significant interest will be history....and all I will be left paying will be my mortgage, alimony, utilities, and my car payment.

The stress will be alleviated....and I can begin to pump money into my savings and into my retirement accounts.

While it's not the favorite path that financial planners would advise, it is something that is not without merit. It will make me happy......and as a result....I will live longer without stress.

The paperwork is on its way.

No comments: