Thursday, April 03, 2008

Plans...

Plans continue to take shape for my 50th Birthday party. As it stands, my birthday will be on Thursday, May 1, 2008. I probably will take myself out to dinner that night and maybe get a few of my buddies to join me for this.

The big open house is scheduled for Saturday, May 3, 2008 from 1-5. I’m sending out invitations that will cover 130 people. (Gee, I didn’t know that I even knew that many people….much less to feel like I wanted them to join in on my big day!)

In the meantime, I am going to do a deep cleaning of the house. Get rid of additional junk and spruce up the deck and patio. With any luck, it will be a nice day and I can use the deck and patio as extra entertaining space.

My parents will be present. I’m also going to have 2 of my 3 children present. I’ve half way decided to include Lovey and her mother and aunt. I’m not planning to make a big deal of their attendance. Lovey will just be another guest….and that’s about it. I will have so many other people around me, that it shouldn’t be a problem with mingling with the others and allowing her to fend for herself.

Since this is going to be a symbolic start to the rest of my life, I want this party to convey several messages. I don’t mean to sound like a jerk….to be hateful…..but this is the honest truth: I want this party say that I am doing GREAT; I want this party to say that I have friends; and, mostly, I want this party to say that there is a good life after Lovey.

Plain and simple.

That’s all.

I mean, after all that I’ve been through….the tears shed….the sadness….the profound sense of failure……the shame of being gay…..it’s about time for me to lift up my head and have some fun……share some laughter…….enjoy my loved ones and my children….and enjoy my house.

2008 is MY year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Frank!

Like you I am divorced after a long term (23 year) marriage. Although I am not "out" yet, I am on my journey. I am so happy to see how you have evolved through your journey and can only hope I have half the success you have!

Oh, another thing, like you I will also be 50 this year on May 17th!

So have a drink for me, your "younger" brother!

Anonymous said...

I have this feeling that your party gonna be great, you're doing great. 130 people just for the birthday, that's awesome. we had 85 guests for the wedding and we were worn out.
You know if I had a dad like you, I would be very proud of you. You rock so I do wish you a wonderful party, who knows you may meet your special someone!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a plan for a party -- glad that you are inviting Lovey, to not do so would have been hurtful for the kids. Have fun and don't worry about messages.

Rick