Friday, April 18, 2008

Thoughts from a Different Place


It's spring.

The weather has become a lot milder. All the trees are budding and the flowers are in the process of blooming.

It also seems that it is mating season.

Everywhere I turn, I see couples hand in hand walking everywhere: down the street, in the grocery store, at the mall, in the book store, along the river, under the cherry trees -- basically everywhere.

They are couples of every persuasion.....gay couples.....straight couples......older....younger........with kids.....without kids..... Literally everywhere!

Last night I worked late.....and stopped off at a restaurant for dinner -- alone.

Somehow it felt I had invaded a whole nest of couples. The place was literally filled.

As I ate and watched, some were discreet in their obvious affection for each other......some were blatant. Kisses were exchanged.......hands were heled.....goofy grins were made.

All there as I ate my dinner.

Over in an isolated corner was a man. He looked to be around my age....and he was not attractive in the least.... His clothing was disheveled....hair on the unkempt...and a bit on the greasy side. His face was pock marked.

But there he was....huddled up nice and cozy with a pretty young thing.

They were in another world unto themselves.

All this love in the air made me wonder:

"What's wrong with me? Why am I sitting here all alone? Why don't I have someone?"

I took a quick inventory of myself: I'm divorced. I've got a good job. I have my own house. I'm financially secure. I'm pretty drama free. I think I'm decent looking. (I'm no longer young and pretty -- just pretty! LOL.) I turn 50 in a couple of weeks. So clearly I'm not dead.

I don't get it.

I got up quickly paid my bill and left.

In a funk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well you're a braver man than me, Frank. I think if I was single, I wouldn't go to eat in a restaurant alone, after all those years of marriage. But maybe it taught you something and you learned about yourself. Just don't be so hard on yourself. You'll find a nice guy when you least expect it - just don't expect him to be "the one", you tend to rush things too much. At least you did in your mind with the bodybuilder and your daughter