Monday, June 25, 2007

Being Misunderstood

This trip to Nashville has been good for me. It's given me the opportunity to sit and to ponder my thoughts. #2 has also quizzed me on various issues about the divorce and during our discussions, I had some "stuff" to surface that allowed me to come to terms with my feelings.

I think the main problem that Frank is dealing with now is the fact that I feel so very misunderstood by Lovey. It bothers me that she continued to tell her side of things with all the misinformation. But there is nothing I can do about that.

For instance, Lovey doesn't know that I loved her in spite of the gay thing. She tells everyone that I would not allow her to buy shoes....or that I was a spendthrift and bought all kinds of electronic toys cuasing us to be in financial ruin. Or that I wouldn't let her be who she was.... Or that I made her life hell. Or, the best thing of all......she had every right to divorce me because of my being gay and being "unfaithful."

I guess all those years where I did support her and all these other falsehoods don't matter...because in her mind, her new truth is all the above.

#2 says that every time she speaks with her mom now, her mom excitedly talks about the newest pair of shoes she bought. She's blown a small fortune on her 4th new computer, her composter, her digital video projector, Word has it now that she is going to buy herself a new Iphone..... The amount of money she's going through is just phenomenal. But then, this is what she always did, and I was left to scramble with coveirng the bills. The only difference is now she doesn't have me to cover them.

I don't like being misunderstood. But there is nothing that I can do to change those perceptions she has set forth for me.

I just need to move on.

No comments: