Sunday, June 03, 2007

He's Gone

The Marine has now returned to North Carolina. I was so sad to see him leave. This was the best visit I have had with my son ever and I'm not sure what makes it so good.

Perhaps it was the one-on-one time I finally got. It doesn't happen much these days. I always feel like I am in competition with his friends. And there have been so many times when he has disappointed me by taking a mile when given an inch. Or by making poor decisions and acting impulsively because of his ADHD. On top of all this, his adoption issues have caused problems along the way.

In February he got into deep trouble because he was stubborn. He's done drugs.....he's done alcohol....and he has done things that have left all of us doubting our ability to trust him in any situation.

He's had extensive therapy and my internist says that by the age of 25 (he's 21 now), his cerebral cortex will fully developed and we should see some significant changes.

After this weekend I am more hopeful than I have ever been. I loaned him my car...and he took care of it. He kept in touch with me and after every call, he would tell me that he loved me. He also told me that he's planning to come back for Father's Day weekend...which means more to me than can ever be described.

He was a lot calmer and so much more mature.

Good news for a change in my life that has been filled with drama and sadnes over the last two years.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Frank, I read your blog everyday and yes, it seems there is a change in your writing style. You seem to show confidence now. You are writing on a more positive level. I like the stories of your past, the tale of how you got to where you are now. Keep telling the good things for now. They seem to keep you out of a slump. Maybe it will help by carrying over into your daily activites and when you meet new people. Time to move past the gloom and doom and start showing the wonderful person that you are. It helps those of us like you, who are trying to move on from our marriages to be our true selves. Keep up the good work.