Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Dentist


I’ve been putting off this post for some time simply because I wanted to have a better handle on The Dentist’s role in my ex-family so that I could offer some observations. Since, though, he’s still just as myserious as ever, I’ve decided to go ahead with this post.

I’ve heard his name off and on for quite some time. Lovey’s younger sister worked for him for a few years. She met him through her church and introduced him to the rest of her family.

In fact, when #1 needed some emergency dental work done before going off with the Peace Corps, it was The Dentist who helped her at no charge. I suppose he is a good guy.

I didn’t meet him officially until late in March when my daughter from Nashville came for a visit. She was invited to a special dinner before she left, with her mother and grandmother. As I explained in my blog post at the time, I wasn’t really wanted at that gathering, but #2 sort of pushed the issue when she informed her grandmother that she had come to spend the weekend with her dad and if he wasn’t invited to this gathering, she wouldn’t be attending. (Had I known about all this at the time, I would not have gone.)

When I arrived, I immediately went out to the deck to begin grilling the steaks we were going to have for dinner that night. After I’d been there for a few minutes, the sliding glass door opens and out walks this gentleman. He walks over directly to me and say’s, “Hi! I’m the Dentist!”

After exchanging pleasantries, he proceeds to talk my leg off….on and on and on. I needed a break after the first 10 minutes!

When we sat down for dinner, he was placed at Lovey’s right hand. I was placed across the table from Lovey and #2 was to my right hand at the head of the table.

I tried very hard to discern the exact nature of the relationship between he and Lovey. But to be honest, I’m not sure if they are an item or not. It would certainly be a wonderful thing if they were an item. I could hang on to a significant amount of “change” if they were to get married – no more alimony!

The Dentist drives a white jeep. Since I’ve gotten to know him, I’ve noticed that his car is at Mrs. O’Lovey’s house at all hours. When my parents were here, it got so that I was a little embarrassed to drive past Mrs. O’Lovey’s house because he was always there. One trip out, we saw him out mowing the grass for Lovey’s mom. He’s there when Lovey’s there and when she’s not!

About five weeks ago, when Lovey was trying to get money to #1, she telephoned to see if I could make a deposit into #1’s bank account that evening because she has no access to any of #1’s accounts. In the midst of her late night call, she made it a point to say goodnight to the dentist while I was still on the phone. Obviously he had done something great for her, because she was gushing all over the place…..and she said “Thank you so very much! Bless you!”

A few weekends ago, he actually drove Mrs. O’Lovey and her sister out to visit Lovey. They stayed 3 or so days, but were very quick to say that he was staying with his children who are also in her area.

Still, it is all very interesting. Supposedly his mother died from Alzheimer’s. and he is helping Mrs. O’Lovey who is taking care of her older sister that is suffering from the disease.

Last night, when I dropped by Mrs. O’Lovey’s to pick up my envelope from Lovey, there he sat at the dining room table, with Lovey’s youger sister and her Aunt.

#2 said in her telephone call last night that from her discussions with her grandmother, it appears that they are beginning to tire of him.

Hmmmmmm

No comments: