Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Night Late

The pizza is gone.....the movies are over.......and my guests have departed. I'm exhausted.

Tonight I hosted my men's movie night. It's my Gay Married Men's Group...(GAMMA)....and I had a number of them here. I showed two movies on the big screen: THE DYING GAUL and SHORTBUS. Both are films that were in limited release about a year or so ago...and they in some way deal with the gay issue. So we watched them and discussed them afterwards.

I always look forward to being with these men. Friends are now even more important to me than ever before. This is probably due to the fact that after I married in 1981 all my friends became OUR friends. After the marriage ended, I didn't have very many friends.

I'm not sure how or why that happened, but I just never made friends very easily. This is probably due to the fact that my gayness caused me to erect some rather high walls to go over. So not many choose to bother.

Since the first of the year, I've decided to reach out and go WAAAAAY beyond my comfort zone and make new friends. It seems to be working. So far I have made a lot of new guy friends at work.....at church......at GAMMA.....and I make myself speak to strangers in restaurants, etc.

Even at church I've hosted a bible study...and led it......and this Sunday I'll be a communion minister....and actually pray with people individually and bless them.

Yes, I'm moving way beyond my ZONE....so we shall see how it plays out.

BTW, a number of new emails have been received from my readers and believe me, I'm enjoying them. Thank you.

No comments: