Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Reconnection

Sometimes there are people in our lives that make such a profound impact, you just gotta find them and tell 'em. In my life there was such an individual, and at the time he made the profound impact on me, well...I didn't fully realize how important that impact was due to all my drama. Recently I was talking about him at my church.....and someone recognized the name....and gave me his email address.

He was a minister at an MCC church here in the area 10 years ago I contacted when I was in crisis. He dropped everything at the moment and helped me through a very tough time...and I never got the opportunity to thank him in person because he left not long afterwards. Here's the email I sent:

Hi Rick!

How in the world have you been? I'm wondering if you remember me?

I've come across your name many times in various publications where you have written columns. I don't know if I ever got a chance to fully share with you just how much your friendship and ministry have meant to me. You literally saved my life 10 years ago and I have wanted to say thank you for taking the time for me. I'm not sure if you remember, but I called you in crisis. My family was away visiting relatives in the midwest and I was planning to do myself in because of all the stress in my life concerning the gay thing. Thankfully, you met me and we had a meal at a restaurant and you spent some serious time with me as my crisis passed. As I recall, when the wife and kids returned...I got sucked into being the straight man again..you left the area..and that was that.

BUT, you don't know what an impact your ministry, and the fact you took time out for me have been for me. Again, my sincere thanks.

Ten years has made many changes in my life. First, I'm out to all my children...(the wife knew)..and my mother. These are the most important people in my life, and they have been incredibly supportive. Second, the wife and I are finishing up our silly divorce which has been in process for 2 years. It has been a difficult season for me, because my wife and I were together for over 25 years. She has not made it an easy task...and her personality has totally changed. The things I was accused of, and the way she has treated me has left me bitter, distrustful, angry, etc. to the point that I want no more contact with her! This is wrong. I know it's wrong. But I'm working on it.

I bought her out of the house. She took all the furniture. I replaced it all so that the house now reflects my tastes.and I have my dog. It's really weird finding myself single again..but here I am, age 49, starting all over. So, we'll see.

My wife is a minister...she outted me to everyone under the sun, including our former church, where no one will have anything to do with me. Thus, I began attending MCC in February..and am contemplating full membership. I've made a lot of friends at MCC and for once in my life I am attending a church where I feel that I am loved, I am safe, and I feel authentic and can be me without fear of the roof collapsing on my head..or someone saying I'm a pervert.

I just wanted to say hello...and reestablish contact..and to say a long-overdue thanks for what you did for me 10 years ago.

You are, and always will be a special person in my Christian walk.

Thank you for being you. Do you ever get to DC? I'd love to share a meal with you sometime.

Frank


I just received a response. He was glad to hear from me and he says that my email was a real boost to him and came at the right moment.

It was so good hearing from him....and to feel reconnected to someone that I consider to be a very dear friend...even though we haven't been in much communication over the years.

As I get older, I'm realizing how important it is to let people know how you feel at the moment. One can't assume they will always be around to hear what you have to say.

Gosh it was good hearing from Rick! He saved my life. It is because of him, that I am able to write here today.

No comments: