Tuesday, June 19, 2007

An Exercise in Gay Pride


In my posting about Gay Pride and the festival here in Washington, DC, I neglected to mention that I did something I’ve not ever done before. I bought a pride ring for myself. It wasn’t very expensive. It’s nothing fancy.

It’s made from stainless steele and has rainbow colored stones on it. Very subtle, but it makes me feel good just the same.

I have kept it on all the time So,much in fact that I forget I have it on.

Today I went to my office cafeteria to get some fresh fruit for breakfast. As the cashier handed me back my change, she looked at the ring and then said, “What a beautiful ring you have there!”

I said, “Yes, it’s my pride ring. I got it at pride last weekend.”

She smiled and nodded, “It’s lovely.”

I thanked her and went to the area of the cafeteria to get my napkins, utensils, and cream for my coffee. As I was standing there, the cashier walks up behind me and asked if I had purchased the ring at Capital Pride or at a pride celebration that was at a particular hotel.

I said, “I got it at a booth at Capital Pride.” Then, as an aside, I whispered, “I just ended a 25 year marriage, and am making baby steps out of the closet!”

“Oh, I understand that completely,” she said. “My girlfriend and I worked at Pride in the hotel.”

A grin washed across my face. She was family! She was smiling at me.

I said, “Pride was so much fun this year.”

“That’s what I heard,” she replied. “I’m sorry that we were stuck inside.”

"I have tons of pictures. I can bring you a disc."

"That would be great!" she said.

Just then she had a customer at her register and had to leave. She told me to have a good day and with that, she was gone.

No comments: