Sunday, June 03, 2007

UPDATE -- My Marine Son

Well, all my concern and dread are for nothing...

My son the marine called me yesterday morning to say that he had fallen asleep at one of his friends' house. It was late morning and he was planning to have breakfast (lunch) and then he would be home.

As promised, he showed up to shower and shave. He telephoned my mother in WV and chatted with her for along while. She was so glad to hear his voice. After talking with her, he asked if he could use my car again and go swimming. I said sure. I used the time by getting some much needed time with Mr. Brokeback. I helped him with a massive home improvement project--which is much like the olden days.

While there, we got to do some serious talking. Times like that with him mean so much.

We're making some plans to celebrate July 11. We're thinking of making a day trip some place....to some place we used to go to alot. So, we'll see. We're also discussing a trip to see my parents....him and me.

The marine called me in the evening to say he was coming home. He was tired of being with his friends...and he wanted to spend time at home with me. Now when my son says something like this, you have to realize that he's not reallly saying he wants to spend time with me. Rather, he just wants to be at home entertaining a friend or two.

So when he wandered in, he brought his latest girlfriend in to meet me. This is quite an honor for me because when he has had the easy opportunity to introduce her to his mother, he has not taken advantage of that. He doesn't want his girlfriend to meet her just yet because in the marine's words "She's just crazy."

The marine also let me know that his girlfriend knows that I'm gay. He says that she's cool with it....as are a lot of his friends. Come to think of it, a lot of my kids' friends are enlightened and they think it's "cool."

The marine leaves tomorrow afternoon to return to his base.

It's been good having him here with me.

No comments: