Tuesday, June 12, 2007

HIV and Me


Pardon the graphic nature of the photo accompanying today's post.

I did a search of HIV on GOOGLE images and this was one of the first images that came up.

I think it really portrays things pretty well. There's another one for the ladies....that I decided not to use...since the majority of my readers are men. So, if you are a woman, feel free to do your own search and see that pic.

I spent a good hunk of the time on Sunday at the Gay Pride Festival on Pennsylvania Avenue in downtown Washington, DC, just a few blocks from the White House. It was quite frustrating, just from the standpoint that I took my very heavy digital 35mm camera to get some shots....and I took over 100 really good ones..... When I got home, the thing erased the disc when I ejected the memory card.

I honestly think my camera is on its last legs....after 4 years and close to 50,000 shots. So, I guess I'm gonna be looking for a new camera in the not too distant future.

I went to the festival with Mr. Brokeback.....and another gay male couple that I know. We had a grand time talking and looking at all the various booths. Of course we stopped to admire the occasional drag queen.....some real beauties out there... and the scantilly clad leather daddy. One of them was quite memorable in that he had the most muscular bubble but I had ever seen......with a thong-like strap that went right up the middle of his butt. It certainly didn't leave much to the imagination....but in it's own way it was breathtaking. Please pardon my digression!

There were booths for the gay square dancers, the gay swimmers, the gay citizen associations, cocker rescue, various gay-friendly churches, gay jewelry stores, the gay newspaper, gay magazines, gay bowlers, EVERYTHING GAY!

It was heaven to be in a world where I was boringly normal. People smiled. Men flirted. (I don't know about the women....sorry.)

There were places where you could get fresh crabcakes, ribs, sausages, hot dogs, cold drinks, ice cream.... It was definitely a carnival like atmosphere.

Mr. Brokeback and I actually held hands.....and committed a first, on Pennsylvania Avenue, in the shadow of the Capitol, in front of God and thousands of others.... We hugged each other...and kissed -- not once, but twice! I can't begin to describe what that did for me!

He and I have appeared to turn another corner in our relationship. His work has slowed down considerably. So, I think I may getting some more of his time, as in the olden days...going forward. I hope so.

As we made our way through the crowds, the gay couple we were with stopped at the Whitman Walker Mobile HIV Testing facility and began completing the necessary paperwork to be tested. Mr. Brokeback decided he would get tested, because he has gotten a lot more active during his travels.... And so, even though the prospect of HIV scares me to death, I got tested too. Although I am safe to a fault....one just never knows.... I felt that with everything else that has been going on in my life, what is one more drama?

The lady that pricked my finger and did the test was rather intimidating. The first thing she said to me was, "Now, when you get the results of your test, if it is positive, you will not hurt yourself or someone else?"

Oh God, that's so cheery to think about!

Then she proceeded to verbally ask me all kinds of intimate questions. "Do you have sex for money? Have you ever had sex while you were drunk or passed out? Have you had receptive anal sex without protection? Have you had insertive anal sex without protection? Have you had insertive oral sex without protection? Have you had insertive oral sex with protection? Do you have a partner? Is he being tested?"

And the list went on.

Normally I'm shy about such things...but I was amazingly forthright in all of my answers. And we discussed all sorts of practices without my so much as blushing! For example: I was also amazed to learn that before giving someone oral sex and you plan to swallow, you should not brush your teeth or floss for 72 hours! (Sorry mom.)

I was then ushered out into D.C. sunshine to await my results. They would be back in 20 minutes. So I stood and talked with my friends. Friend #1 was summoned back into the van. He was gone and gone and gone. His partner was beginning to get nervous. Finally, Friend #1 stepped out of the van.....went straight for her partner and said "NEGATIVE!" (The reason he was gone so long, he never sees a stranger and was talking the ear off the technician!) We chatted again...and suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder.... I was being summoned. Was that really 20 minutes?

I was ushered into the counseling room. There she was, the intimidating lady again...looking all gruff. She was grabbing some forms. "Oh God," I thought.

"You're negative," she said flatly. "This is a list of safe sex practices and a reminder to stay safe."

She circled the word NEGATIVE on my form, which became my red badge of courage. I was free to go and rejoin my friends outside.

Friend #2 found out he was NEGATIVE next.

Then, Mr. Brokeback was ushered into the van. NEGATIVE was his report too.

We all gave a sigh of relief and continued to enjoy ourselves at PRIDE.

Until the next time.

No comments: