Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Return

What a nightmare!

On my last day in Nashville, while #2 and I were having a leisurely lunch near her office, we got a tremendous surprise in the form of severe and powerful thunderstorms. They were awful, but since Nashville is in the midst of severe drought, it was okay I suppose.

#2 had one of her male friends drop me to the airport in time for my 5:30 p.m. flight. By the time I had made it through security and arrived at my gate, the flight had been delayed… So we didn’t get off the ground until sometime shortly after 6:30.

The plane was packed and the ride was bumpy in spots.

We got in at Baltimore Washington International at 9:30. I was able to pick up my bags quickly and was on the shuttle for Long Term Parking B in a matter of minutes. “Oh boy,” I thought. “I’ll be home by 10:30.”

That was a laugh of the century.

As I got on the road that leads to the main freeways, I made the brilliant choice of going with the free way I hardly use, simply because it puts on you the D.C. beltway just a little further west, which is closer to the Northern Virginia section in which I live. All I have to do is cross the American Legion Bridge near Great Falls, and their I am!

Wrong choice.

There were a couple of serious accidents involving overturned vehicles and a fatality or two. So I spend about 3 hours trying to get turned around. So, but the time I had gotten home, it was close to 2am. I was up by 5:30, ready for the day! WHEW!

Today, it is everything that I can do to stay awake!

I must say though, my trip to visit my daughter was the highlight of my summer thus far. It was hot. It was tiring. But she is living in a safe and nice place. She only has to contend with one other roommate who seems very nice, very unlike the two controlling “religious” ones she had been living with, who were really making her life quite difficult in that 3 –bedroom apartment.

Before summer is over, I want to go back to Nashville and spend some more quality time with my daughter. She is also planning a visit up here when I throw my “New Beginnings” open house to celebrate my new life as a single man!

She really loves and supports me….as do all the kids….and for this I am so grateful.

No comments: