Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Choices


Just received a telephone call from Lovey.

Yes, I know it's rather late....but she had a lot of things on her mind that she wanted to talk to me about before she leaves for Nashville and #2 tomorrow. She's spending the night at her mother's which is a couple of blocks away.

She is planning a gathering at her house in the Shenandoah Valley on July 22 to celebrate her mother's 77th birthday. She and her mother and her mother's sister want me to come and be a part of this family gathering.

Now where did that all come from?

Lovey was very warm and very friendly and sounded like the old Lovey that I fell in love with so long ago.

I honestly don't know how to handle this.

I know what my parents would say. I know what my friends would say. I know wat my heart wants to do.

Do I try to make peace and "bury the hatchet"....and be friends....

Or do I just hang on to the negative feelings....the feelings of being offended......the bitterness......the anger....?????

Hmmmmm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank:
As you know, for your own sake you have to at some time bury the hatchet. The only question is, are you ready to do it yet, or are you just in the mood to see hidden attacks in every thing that the O'Loveys do? If the latter, then it may be a good thing to have "something else come up" that you have to attend. But if you can truly celebrate the life of someone who was formerly quite central in your life even if she is not so any more, then probably it is an opportunity for some emotional therapy. But just like physical therapy, be ready to experience some pain as the scar tissue from some previous hurts is necessarily broken so that the wounds can heal better. Again you may not be ready for that, but you know that you will have to go through that at some time.

Rick

Anonymous said...

I know that no matter how much you would like to attend at the same time you feel that it could be an awkward situation.

Keep in mind that if you do attend, you can leave whenever you want, if you feel uncomfortable. You are in control of the situation in that respect.

Perhaps a short sweet visit with the excuse that you have other plans for later on is a good out for you in case you feel uncomfortable.

Don't forget, that perhaps they may also feel just as awkward and a short visit on occasions like this will make it easier in the long run for everyone concerned.